Volunteer Restorative Justice Intern needed
Restorative Justice Intern
(Volunteer position, 2-3 days per week, May-September 2018, exact dates and hours per week to be discussed)
The charity Why me? was set up by a victim of crime in 2009 to ensure that more victims of crime have access to Restorative Justice. In the intervening period, RJ has become publicly funded, there is wider recognition among the public about its benefits and more professionals and politicians recognise its power and potential to change victims’ and offenders’ lives.
We are a team of four part-time paid staff who work with a group of volunteer facilitators to provide a Restorative Justice service to victims and offenders. We also specialise in communicating and campaigning for victims of crime to have access to RJ.
The Why me? Intern will support our staff in the delivery and coordination of Why me?’s Restorative Justice service and campaigning work. The post holder will also support general administration.
Some basic requirements are as follows:
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability use initiative, to work with minimal supervision and to judge when appropriate to seek advice
- Experience and ability to maintain systems and to use them to report ideally within a secure and data protected environment
- Effective IT skills, ability to use Microsoft Office
- Be able to write and speak fluent English
- Be empathetic towards Why me?’s aims, values and objectives
- Ability to commit to at least three months.
- All staff and volunteers are required to register with the Disclosure and Barring Service (Why me? will organise) and to sign our confidentiality agreement. We will take up two references before you start.
Why me? is an Equal Opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of race (including nationality and ethnic origin), gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion/belief or age.
We commit to the post-holder having the opportunity to learn new skills, gain experience, access relevant training and benefiting from coaching and mentoring from the organisation’s staff.
These are the kind of activities that the post holder could carry out:
Restorative Justice Service Support
- To support the Restorative Justice Service Coordinator in their role
- To support the maintaining and updating of case management records and systems
- To support the promotion of the Why me? service to offender agencies, Police Forces and to the public
- To support the organisation and logistical support of volunteer facilitators
- To support the policy and campaigning work of Why me?
- To write content for the Why me? Website
- To support the Social Media and digital communications work of the organisation
- To conduct limited desktop research
General Administration Support
- To provide general administrative support to the Why me? Staff team and Director including meeting minute taking, events organising and database working.
Expenses will cover lunch and reasonable travel costs.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter (max 1 page of A4) to email@example.com by midnight on 9th May 2018.
Interviews will be held on 16th May 2018.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org